Monday, May 10, 2010

Wheelchair fencing, Pressure Cooking and a Wedding Insperation Board

Okay, so I slacked off last week. I kept thinking I’ll get to it tomorrow, I’ll get to it tomorrow and I just never did. I’d like to say that last week wasn’t to interesting (not that my life is on a regular basis) but this weekend was. I helped give a beginning class/fencing introduction on wheelchair fencing and it was loads of fun. The kids where nice and really interested in learning about wheelchair fencing.

We ended up at the South Seattle Community center and that was such a beautiful building to begin with. They have jungle gym equipment set up outside where screaming kids played and dogs barked. To top it all off, Saturday was a gorgeous sunny day. It was a bit toasty with the fencing gear on but it was well worth it.

We had about 10 people show up and after a brief demonstration we got them suited up and showed them the basic steps required to fence. It’ll be a challenge to work with each individual and figure out what works best for them and it’s one I can’t wait to pick up. It sounds like a few of the kids where interested in picking up the sport and I can’t wait to see how it all works out. For more information on wheelchair fencing please click here.

Mike decided that he needed a new pair of jeans. So we set out to the South Center Mall after the clinic and had the joy of walking around a crowded mall in an attempt to find a pair of pants that fit the way he wanted but didn’t cost an arm and a leg. We wandered around for a bit before ending up at Buckle where he managed to find a very nice pair of pants that were half off. I don’t know why, but a lot of men’s jeans out there today provide extra room for saddle bag thighs (as I call those types of jeans in women) and he is lean like a string bean.

Afterwards we walked around for another 2 hours before heading over to the Cheesecake Factory where we had the joy of waiting around for an hour and half before being seated at a booth with a chair on the end. What a joy. That’s the second time in a row that we’ve had to wait an excess of an hour to be seated in a cramped booth with a chair on the end. The food was great, although we didn’t get any cheese cake (I’ll have to go later this week), the initial server was great until she went on break and was switched out with another server (also second time in a row) who ignored us most of the time until it was time to collect the check then he was all over our booth.

Sunday we ended up buying a pressure cooker. I’ve never cooked with one before, but I’d been told that you can cook a frozen chicken in it. And although that wasn’t what I initially intended, by the time we came back from looking at shelves (a work in progress to get the books organized) the chicken was still frozen and I thought that I’d give it a try. After reading the instruction manual on how to use the cooker (I’ve never even seen one in motion) I got the recipe ready and prepared the pot.

The instructions I read stated that the frozen chicken should be cooked 1 minute longer per pound then an unfrozen bird, so I figure if I left the bird in the cooker for an extra five minutes that I was good. Well after waiting for it depressurize (sounds so sci fye) I went to pull the chicken out of the cooker and realized that half the bird was still frozen. So I put the lid back on and decided to cook it another 30 minutes just to make sure it was good (going on the assumption that it was half way cooked the same amount of time would be required to finish it). I put the lid back on, turned up the heat and waited another 30 minutes.

When I pulled the pot off the heat I could smell burning and started to freak out a bit. Once I got the lid open I saw that all the vegetables I had on the bottom of the pan had turned black and burned (apparently I forgot to add more water when putting the pot back on). The chicken was only a little dry and the potatoes I made where mostly salvageable. Overall I think that for a first time use, it was pretty successful. After getting everything I could scraped out of the pan I wanted to get a picture of it and share it with you.


Tonight I get to clean it yeay!

So for a frozen chicken about 3 lbs, I’d cook it on med to high setting for 45 to 50 minutes probably about 2 cups of brother/water or a little more (i'm thinking that I might not have had enough water in it as well). Potatoes will survive and be very juicy as since the bird is frozen you’ll have all that fat dripping from the chicken and the potatoes will soak that up (if it's store bought and you didn’t trim before freezing). I can’t wait to try chicken again.

I also made stuffed mushrooms last night and I’m trying it again today. I’ll be sharing the pictures and recipe tomorrow if it turns out as delicious as I think it will.

News on the iPad contest I entered. My submission was accepted (Yeay) and my entry can be viewed here.

This is the other entry I almost submitted but when finding the links, I noticed one of the items had sold. Which was big bummer because this is the one that I was planning on submitting.
















Fall 2010 Runway Collection Piece Supastar Clothing -- Black And White Forest Bumple Dress, Esty shop: Supastarclothing, Dress Price: $149.99
Flora Bella, Double Strand Swarovski Pearl Bracelet, Esty Shop: luxedeluxe, Double Strand Bracelet: $72.00 (SOLD 5/5)
Black Tulle Wedge Birdcage Veil with Ostrich Feather Comb/Brooch Pin Combo, Etsy Shop: brendasbridalveils, Black and White Veil: $49.99
Bakers, Was $149.95, now $99.99, Sergeant Pretty Heals: $99.99
Vintage Inspired Pearl Earrings, Etsy shop: Janice Marie, $17.50

Total: $439.43 (with shoes full price/ not allowed to use sale price)(discounted price: $389.43)

No comments:

Post a Comment