Saturday, August 28, 2010

Writers Block

I've been thinking a lot lately on writers block and how to get around it. My first experience with writers block was in the fourth grade when I was writing my first story as part of a class assignment. It was on zombies. Interesting, considering that I don't watch scary movies. I got to a point in the story where I could not get any further. For the life I me, I could not figure out what to do next. I ended up dropping the story.

Since then, I've dropped a few more and I've come to the realization that most of my writers block is because I have no idea what should happen next or what the end result of my story should be.

A few ways that I've thought about fighting writers block:
1. Killing off a character (might throw some drama into the story as well)
2. Introducing a new character (could be tricky because they might take over the story briefly)
3. Move your character (have them travel to a new area in your story)
4. Have an argument between your characters, one of them main (argument should probably involve one of the main story point issues that will get resolved in the end)
5. Focus on building the 'support' of the secondary characters (this could be the romance between the characters or the supporting friendship that helps carry the character through the story)

I hope some of the above suggestions help you get past your writers block.

No comments:

Post a Comment